Thursday, September 10, 2009

Highly Toxic?

I've always stored my cake pans and cookie sheets in the oven. In 10+ years, I've never once forgotten to take them out before preheating the oven... until last night.

This is what happens to plastic cake pan lids, when they are left in an oven that is preheating to 425, for 30 minutes:

Melted Plastic

Obviously I threw out both lids, and the metal cake pan that the one melted into. I kept the glass Pyrex cake pan that the blue lid went to. My question is, is it safe to use my oven now? There's a part of my brain that is telling me that fumes from melted plastic is highly toxic. Should I be worried? The clear lid melted on to one of the racks in the oven, but I was able to peel it off, after it cooled. Do I need to do anything else?

Thanks in advance, for any suggestions.